Saturday, January 17, 2009

Obama Mania

Charles Krauthammer coined the term "Bush Derangement Syndrome" (hereafter "BDS") to describe those people who hate Bush so much that they can't be reasonable. You know them (you may even BE them). I don't want to talk about that right now. No, I want to discuss their (possibly your) opposite derangement, the belief that EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE with the new administration, money will grow on trees, the Mideast will be at peace, and the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisaical glory: Obama Mania (hereafter "OM").

I've read a lot about the celebration of random Nigerians, Liechtensteiners, Burmese, and Hobbits who are ecstatic about our new President. And I've been bugged by their OM. I wasn't sure why for a long time, but now I think I know. These Africans, Europeans, Asians, and Shirefolk think that Obama is THEIR President. He is not. He is OUR President, and I expect him to act in America's best interest, not in the best interest of Nigeria, Lichtenstein, Burma, or the Shire. I hate to see all these non-Americans disappointed, but I will NOT be pleased if their interests are acted on above the interests of this country. Not that I think they will be, but a lot of non-Americans that have BDS blame everything they don't like about America on Bush, and some of it is just that we are the biggest and strongest, and they are bitter. That is all.

No comments: