Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sabrina: Her own person?

I really thought I'd written this post, but I don't see it. Maybe I've just thought it so much I figured I'd written it! If I have posted it already, feel free to let me know.

Anyway, Zane, Spencer, Sabrina, and I went out to dinner a few weeks ago to Ogden Pizzeria. We got a salad to share, which was yummy nutritious iceberg lettuce (fiber and water), cheese, carrots, and...olives. Yuck. Molly hates olives! So, because Sabrina and Spencer both needed to be entertained, I gave Sabrina an olive. I figured she'd make that "ewwww" face, which would be good for a laugh. Nope. She ate it, and another one.

Why, do you ask, does this matter? It matters because I really thought she was me, except smaller and with blue eyes. And less control of her bodily functions. And an earlier bedtime. And--well, you get the idea. I found out on an emotional level that day that she is her own person, and I'm in mourning, a little bit. I mean, what's next? Green peppers and music videos? All joking aside, I like me. I would be so happy if Sabrina was good at the things I am/was pretty good at (like reading, school, sports, music) and didn't care about the things I don't care about (like popular music, celebrities, fashion) and shunned the things I shunned (like drugs, bullying, drugs). What am I going to do if she really gets into cheerleading? Besides have Karen (former BYU gymnast and current SIL) coach her, I mean. Having a child makes me understand the problem with free agency!

No comments: