Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A letter to the Tooth Fairy

Dear Tooth Fairy,

I'm sure you keep track of these things, but Sabrina just got her first tooth yesterday. (I think that's why she was up twice in the night. Can I register my complaint now, or is there a separate form?) It's very exciting, of course, that she has her first tooth. It's the first step to chewing, after all, which is necessary to really eat cookies. Also, if Sabrina never got teeth, that would be weird, and disturbing.

So why did I feel like crying when I discovered this new milestone? Is it because her huge, gummy smiles when I come into her room in the morning are numbered? Is it because I love her babyhood so much that I mourn any part of it ending? Or is it just because I can look forward to more interrupted nights? Whatever the reason, despite the fact that I have been looking for her first tooth for two months, I did not have unsullied joy from my discovery of yesterday.

Thank you for all you do, and I'll see you in about six years.

Sincerely,
Molly (Sabrina's mommy)

No comments: