Sunday, January 19, 2014

Benefits of Cancer

I was thinking today about what I have gained from cancer. Here's a partial list.

1. I have felt my community rally around me. My ward, especially, has been so supportive. They've been so kind, always asking me how I'm doing, providing me with food and love, and telling me how cute my new (in more than one sense!) hair is.

2. I've discovered how many people have had cancer, and I can relate to them. I've met student's parents, students, ward members, and random strangers who I have bonded with, even for a short time, because we share this experience.

3. I've found out I can do hard things. I mean, I always thought I could do hard things, but now I know.

4. I've gained willpower. Along with the "hard things" benefit, I've gained a certain amount of control over my body. This might be why I've been able to stop eating so much junk food lately.

I'm sure there are more, but I can only appreciate cancer so much before I can't appreciate it any more. If you know what I mean.

No comments: