Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sabrina

I've been noticing a lot of personality traits in Sabrina recently, and it makes me curious to think about the person she will become. Here are some things I've seen in her. Some of them may be just because she's an only child (for another three months) and a 2-year-old. Others, I think, are more enduring.

1. Dramatic. Two-year-old or enduring legacy? I don't know. But just TRY taking her to bed before she's ready.

2. Loving. My cousin Julianne told me Sunday she just got a kiss from my daughter. Sabrina is sweet and affectionate, and likes people. Including strange men, but that's another story.

3. Empathetic. Whenever she hears someone crying, she gets a concerned look on her face and says, "Baby, cy-ing?" I say, "Yes, the baby is crying. Why is the baby crying?" She will usually say "Mama," as in, "The baby wants her mama." She also can be distracted from her own drama sometimes (see #1) if I tell her that her dog or other stuffed animal is crying. She will then need to give it hugs and kisses to make it feel better. She has also asked, concerned, "Mama cy-ing?" at times. Recently, I had an eye infection that made my eyes red and sometimes tear up. She was very sweet about my perceived cy-ing.

4. Care-taking. I have gone up to her room in the morning or after a nap to find cups, books, and the ubiquitous stuffed animals in a circle around her, all covered up to their necks (if they have one, that is) with her blanket. She also shoves pacifiers back into babies' mouths (she's not so good at fine motor control yet) if they drop them, and likes Mommy to "go sleep" with her, which really just means snuggling in the covers for about .3 seconds before giggling, sitting up, and commanding Mommy to go sleep again.

Three good, one...a challenge for parents. Not bad odds. Of course, I'm biased.

No comments: