Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Yay! Hodgkin's Lymphoma!

My cousin has Hodgkin's Lymphoma. This is bad news, obviously, but considering what it COULD be, we're all celebrating. That sounds so silly.

In honor of all those I love with cancer (a disturbingly large number), here is some advice for chemo.
1. Have treats. You deserve them.
2. If you want someone with you, let people know and get what you need.
3. If you don't want people with you, remember this cancer is about you. Not them. I wanted Zane home with the kids. I would be gone from home for six hours sometimes, and who were the kids going to be with? Either I'd have to pay a ridiculous amount of money for babysitting, or I'd have to be obligated to someone. I'd rather they bring me dinner.
4. Take stuff to do that you really want to do. TV shows on DVD, movies, books, whatever. You will be there a while, so don't just plan on playing on your phone.
5. Take your phone charger.
6. Take anti-nausea meds as soon as you get home, or earlier. There's no prize for getting sick or holding off.
7. Anti-nausea meds cause constipation. Take Miralax or Senna or something else. You have been warned.
8. If your anti-nausea meds don't work, THERE ARE OTHERS. GET THEM.
9. Ativan is great.
10. Enjoy the quiet time you have in the infusion room, or the time to visit with people you love. Other than the fact that you're getting chemo, it's great!

No comments: