Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Blessings

I was thinking today about all the blessings I've received related to cancer. This is in no way meant to be a comprehensive list, but here we go.
1. As I've mentioned before, a couple of months before I was diagnosed, Zane asked me to get a job. This I did. The job had benefits.
2. My doctor, without question, recommended surgery before chemo. After surgery it was discovered that my massive tumor was mostly what they call DCIS, which isn't as concerning as the stuff that's out of the ducts. If I'd had chemo first, the tumor wouldn't have shrunk much, which would have been stressful.
3. After my mastectomy and well into my chemo, a new drug called pertuzamab/Perjeta was approved for pre-surgery cancer and metastatic cancer. I don't have either of those, but my insurance company approved it anyway.
4. My doctor's PA said one of her other patients had a huge tumor that, after chemo including Perjeta, had no tumor. She said I was the first person she thought of. If I'd had chemo first, Perjeta may not have been available, since it wasn't approved until November 2013. Surgery first worked out on all levels for me.
5. I've found out how wonderful my ward is. They are so kind, giving, considerate, all sorts of wonderful things.

Not a comprehensive list, but things I've been grateful for lately. Thank you, Lord.

No comments: