Thursday, October 25, 2012

Halloween Cookies

Back when I was a girl, we'd head over to the Larson household every pre-Halloween, where Dean, the dad of my best friend Maren, would have made homemade root beer with dry ice, sugar cookies galore, frosting, and have bought candy. We'd spend what felt like hours decorating the Halloween cookies. Ah, good times...

In the spirit of things, I thought I'd do the same for my kids. Now, they're too young to really get into it, so I decided not to invite friends over for another year or two. While Sasha napped, Sabrina and I made the sugar cookie dough. Then, when Sasha got up, we went to the store to get Halloween cookie cutters and candy.

Snag 1: no Halloween cookie cutters. Sold out yesterday. Fine. Juuuuuust fine. We therefore made vampire bunnies (Bunnicula), fat bats, fairies, and rotund spies. Because I DO have Easter bunnies and butterflies, and Christmas angels and snowmen. Don't laugh.

Snag 2: Sasha is too young. I frosted him one cookie, which he promptly took a bite out of despite my "Put candy on it!" speech. He then ate a ton of candy and licked the spoon of frosting.

Snag 3: Sabrina is too young. Oh, she can frost cookies and put 18,227 pieces of candy on each one, but after 6 cookies she was done. Done with a capital D. That left approximately 87,926 cookies left to decorate. I did a credible job with the first half, but the last 10 (that's a real number this time) got slathered in frosting and had random candy dumped on them. They're good, at least.

Snag 4: Raiden screamed the whole time. That is all.

Still, it was a fun time, in theory and (more importantly) in memory. Happy Halloween!

No comments: