Monday, May 2, 2011

Who are we?

I am glad, glad, glad that Osama bin Laden is dead. He's a bad man with a lot of charisma, which is a really scary combination. Think Mao, Pol Pot, and (yes, wait for it) Hitler. I wish he would have died years ago and I'm glad he's dead now.

And yet....

I was disturbed watching the celebrations outside the White House. It bore a disturbing similarity to the al-Jazeera footage of Palestinans celebrating the death of Israeli soldiers, or Muslims celebrating 9-11. Except our citizens weren't also shooting AK-47's into the air. The gatherings at Ground Zero of people holding each other, crying, relieved, that was more...I'm not sure. American? Civilized? Dignified? Tasteful? Can you be tasteful when celebrating the death of someone?

I'm satisfied. I'm glad he's dead. I'm glad he's not going to hang out at Guantanemo or be tried in Pakistan (ha! that would be a JOKE)or New York. But I don't like the wild celebrations of 20-year-olds who were 10 when 9-11 happened. I just don't like them. It makes me question who we are.

No comments: