Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Stay-at-home mum update

I've been a part-time stay-at-home mom for two months now. (Incidentally, can you be a part-time stay-at-home mom, or is that a mutually exclusive oxymoron? Or Oxymormon? I'm not sure.) Here are some things I've learned.

1. It's way harder to go to work one day a week than five days a week. I start dreading my work day, Tuesday, on Saturday. "Oh no, the weekend is here! That means I have to go to work soon!" When I'm actually at work I love it, but it sure is hard to go.

2. Mommies are way happier when they get out of the house every day and when they exercise.

3. There are way fewer hours in the day when I stay at home than when I work. Maybe it's because I feel so unproductive (although usually happily so) when I spend 30 minutes playing "I'm gonna get you" and dancing to Weezer and Aladdin than when I teach 12-year-olds about the Civil War. Go figure. Therefore...

4. I get way less done than I think I'm going to each day.

5. Even though I'm home all day, I still need a list to encourage me to clean because cleaning is boring to think about doing, although it's not bad in actual fact.

What have you learned from being a stay-at-home mom or dad, even if you just did it for a little while? Any gems of learning, amusing anecdotes, or things complimentary about me *coughdadcough*?

No comments: