Friday, October 17, 2008

Is this what ambivalance feels like?


Since I'm about to go back to work, I've been trying to convince Sabrina that taking a bottle is a good idea. Teenager that she is, she would have none of it. Obviously, stress for me. Will she starve while I'm at work? Will she scream and make her sitters crazy? My baby! Well, right now she is sucking down her first bottle ever. After the initial relief, I wanted to yank that no-good fake mommy right out of her mouth and put the real thing in it. I mean, it was flattering when she said, "No, I want my mommy to feed me! Only my mommy! Get this yucky not-mommy OUT OF MY MOUTH!!" Oh what a tangled web we weave/when first we try to give our children independence.

I'm really excited to start teaching again. We are doing 20th century this year, which is an awesome curriculum. World wars, Holocaust, civil rights, Viet Nam...Really interesting stuff. On the other hand, if I'm with 7th and 8th graders, I'm not with Sabrina. I had a terrible dream the other night that she was kidnapped by Sylar (the evil, creepy villain from Heroes). Gah! Talk about worrying that I won't be with Tiny! Geez. My subconscious has a macabre sense of humor!

Oh, and Zane remembered the ice cream cake. He pretended that the freezer at Baskin Robbins was broken, but he really delivered it to his brother Lance, who took it to roller hockey so we all could enjoy it. Good Zane.

No comments: