Tuesday, May 27, 2014

OCEAN

In psychology, I find one of the most interesting theories from a parent's point of view to be the Five Factor Model (FFM). Basically, it states that children are born with some quantity of five personality traits. They are: Openness (to new experiences), Conscientiousness, Extroversion, Agreeableness, and Neuroticism. A parent with good "goodness of fit" will alleviate any negative characteristics. For example, a very disagreeable child will be taught, by good parents, to be more agreeable. A poor goodness of fit will have a neurotic child with an emotionally unstable parent, thus aggravating the neuroticism of the child.

I have never been really open to new experiences. Instead of going to college and playing soccer in Texas, I went to the U, for example. I often choose a safer -- or lazier -- route. At least, this is my perception of me. Therefore, when my kids want to sleep outside at 3 and 5, I want to say no, sleep in your own beds. It will be scary, you will want to come inside, you won't go to sleep.

For the record, I WAS RIGHT.

Not that Zane's openness to new experiences that encourages him to say "yes, get a sleeping bag" is bad. In fact, I think it's really good. It pushes both me and the kids to open ourselves up to things we might not otherwise do. But last night, Mama was right. Boo ya.

No comments: