Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Back at School

It's been a long four weeks! Right after we got back from our trips I started school, and I've been substitute teaching since then. It's at Salt Lake Arts Academy and in the subject I've been teaching for five years, so it's not really that hard. Except this week, I have been substituting for a math class just one period a day. Here's what I've learned.

-5th and 6th graders are really, really squirrelly 6th period. Actually, all the time.

-I can know perfectly well how to do something, and explain it well, and sometimes kids still don't get it.

-Stupid kids are really, really frustrating. (That's a joke. Kind of.)

-I have more patience than I thought I had for the above problem.

-Some kids will sit and stare at a paper for 15 minutes at a time, then do 3 minutes of work in 30 seconds if the teacher is standing over them.

-I'm really glad I teach 7th and 8th graders normally. Phew!

No comments: