Sunday, October 12, 2008

Individualality


As Elli has been...um...expressing her autonomy lately, I've been thinking abouot how children don't think of themselves as a separate being from their mothers until they are about two (hence the tantrums and "I'll do it mySELF"). However, I've discovered it goes both ways. I don't think of Sabrina as a being separate from me either. I don't mean that in a creepy, she-is-my-daughter-and-therefore-a-clone-of-me-through-whom-I-can-live-vicariously way. I mean, if she's awake I'm awake, if she's hungry we sit together untiol she's done, if she's crying everyone expects me to know why. It's weird, but in a lot of ways she just feels like an extension of me. The Tyrant in the Nursery.

In related news, it's my birthday tomorrow, and I don't really care. I mean, it's like now that I'm a mom, I am less important to myself. It's probably something about selfless love or a genetic predisposition to care for one's offspring. Of course, this news should not be construed by my husband that he is allowed to forget my ice cream cake.

No comments: